We are one of the few law firms in the country handling pediatric dentist abuse cases.
What is Pediatric Dental Abuse?
Dental abuse is a national epidemic. Specifically, if your case falls into these categories, it might be a case of dental abuse.
- ◊ Multiple unnecessary teeth extractions, root canals, crowns or other procedures;
- ◊ Invasive procedures done without the parent’s knowledge or consent or where parent forbidden from going back with child;
- ◊ Systematic use of a papoose, pedi-board or other restraint device;
- ◊ Fillings, crowns, and extractions done without the proper use of anesthesia;
- ◊ Doctor caused perforated nerve chambers, painful abscesses or holes in tongue, lips or gums;
- ◊ Physical injury caused by doctor or staff;
- ◊ Severe emotional harm caused by doctor or staff;
- ◊ Procedures deemed to have not been conducted to reasonable dentist standards by another dentist;
- ◊ Poor documentation, charting and record keeping
- ◊ Billing violations / insurance billing issues;
- ◊ And usually will feature a combination of the above.
Why Does Dental Abuse Exist?
Dentists have been caught billing for more than 1,000 services a day for almost 100 days. Another performed over 3o procedures — including multiple stainless steel crowns and baby root canals — to a 4-year-old during a visit. Medicaid regularly paid singular dentists millions of dollars per year and clinics were able to make much more.
For many decades, there was little concern, oversight or regulation of dental clinics that often over-treated large numbers of children who were on Medicaid benefits. Thus, these children fell into to classes: (1) they were from limited financial means, or (2) they were disabled or had a qualifying condition.
Much of this treatment arose to the level of abuse, but reports by parents were often ignored, parents didn’t know better, parents were intimidated or threatened by the dentist, or the parents were afraid to go against what was presented as a government recommended and approved dentist.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the Inspector General (OIG), federal and state Medicaid authorities and other federal, state, county and city authorities have been late to react and regulate. Even when they do investigate dentists, the law enforcement agencies are understaffed and underfunded.
So, these dentists have been left to thrive in an unregulated system, to over bill, to treat children like cattle, to book too many patients and use sometimes cruel, abusive or neglectful treatment to get as many children treated in a day as they can.
Report Your Incident to Us:
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will review cases in any state and try to help find a lawyer for you.
Please note we are not taking any new cases until January 1, 2016.
If you give us permission, we may also provide these to the authorities and/or state investigators. if you do not, we will keep them on file. This information is not attorney-client privileged and no representation is provided until you sign a contract with us.
General Information About Dental Abuse Civil Cases:
- ◊ What is Dental Abuse and Why Does it Exist? (You are here)
- ◊ Medical & Dental Malpractice and the Mandatory Pre-Suit Period
- ◊ Dental Abuse Statutes of Limitation in Florida
- ◊ Dental Abuse Cases: Class Action in Florida or Not?
- ◊ 5 Simple Tips on How to Choose a Medical or Dental Malpractice Lawyer
Case Against Howard S. Schneider:
- ◊ Frequently Asked Questions and Update on Howard Schneider Cases
- ◊ Statements Made by Jacksonville Pediatric Dentist Howard S. Schneider, DDS
- ◊ Download the 36 Page Arrest Warrant Affidavit Here
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Howard Schneider’s Dental Assistant Arrested / Booked
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Schneider Medicaid Fraud / Malpractice Claim Update
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Howard S. Schneider Uses Vehicle to Intimidate?
- ◊ May 2015 – The Case(s) Against Schneider: Explained
- ◊ Legal Opinion: The Dr. Schneider “Class Action Law Suit” Can’t Proceed
National News Stories About Schneider Case:
- ◊ National News Stories Regarding Howard S. Schneider
- ◊ Dentist the Menace Blog
- ◊ Insurance Journal Discusses Schneider Case
- ◊ U.S. Senators Release Report on Dental Clinics That Skirt Regulations
- ◊ Similar Case (Multi-State Class Action) – Insurers for troubled dental chain Small Smiles’ to pay out $39 million in tentative settlement
- ◊ Press Release by Florida Attorney General on Schneider Case
- ◊ Howard Schneider In His Own Words: The Newsletters
- ◊ Download the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Guidelines here
- ◊ 2015 Florida Law Regulating Dentists
- ◊ Order Relinquishing Florida Dental License (Schneider)
The Law Offices of John Phillips are based in Jacksonville and Jacksonville Beach, Florida, but John is licensed in Florida, Georgia and Alabama and before the U.S. Supreme Court. We will consult wherever injustice lives. In addition to personal injury and wrongful death, our firm handles family law matters and select criminal defense cases. You can contact us at email@example.com.