phillips & hunt What is a Bully?
By definition, a bully is a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people. Psychology Today attributes the bullying behavior to lack of parenting at an early age and “…not handling well…the normal aggression of two-year-olds.” On the other side, the victims might be sought out and targeted for having a lack of assertiveness.
phillips & hunt Cyber Bullying
With the World Wide Web connecting us all with one touch of the mouse, bullying has reached a much larger audience, and that humiliation of the victim bares an increasing amount of weight.
New method of cyberbullying includes the sharing of menacing gossips, embarrassing photos and even video tapes of the instances of bullying violence.
Aria Jewett / Bullying Case – WJXT: This Week in Jacksonville Discusses Bullying
phillips & hunt Results
$495+ Million Verdict
Phillips obtained one of the largest verdicts in American history of over $495+ Million dollars in the shooting death of Kalil McCoy. Her killer was also convicted in the criminal courts.Details
Jordan Davis: Wrongful Death
Represented the family of Jordan Davis and assisted with criminal prosecution of Jordan's killer, handled media relations of internationally reported case and obtained confidential maximum available civil settlement.Details
Confidential settlement of over 120 cases against a pediatric dentist who was also prosecuted. We also assisted with shutting his dental practice down. He no longer practices dentistry and was arrested.Details
We received a record $2.6 Million Jury Verdict against Volusia County. It was one of the highest ever against Volusia County. Our trial was televised on Good Morning America and reported nationally.Details
RSD / CRPS Verdict
Obtained jury verdict in Jacksonville, Florida of over $900,000 and added attorneys fees of over $250,000 on a case State Farm only offered approximately $30,000 for years.Details
$1.1 Million Verdict Against Coca-Cola
We obtained an over $1 million jury verdict against Coca-Cola in moderate impact soft tissue damages case in Gainesville, Florida. Coca-Cola failed to even offer medical bills before trial.Details
Brain Injury Medical Malpractice
Phillips obtained a confidential settlement against a chiropractor who provided prescription pain medication to a boxer in advance of an Olympic qualifying fight. She sustained a brain injury due to secondary impact syndrome.Details
$1 Million Settlement
Client's child was tragically run over and killed by a motor vehicle in her driveway. Phillips and his team settled the case for over $1 Million without the need of filing a lawsuit.Details
Over $1 Million Settlement
Cliente recibió más de $ 1 millón en accidente automovilístico. También ayudamos a clientes que hablan español. We handle cases in English, Spanish and Creole.Details
phillips & hunt Florida Laws
Florida Law protects victims from bullies by allowing them to file an Injunction for Protection, sometime called a “Protective Order” which does not allow the aggressor to come within 500 feet of the victim, or contact the victim in anyway. Protecting the victims family, if needed, is also an option.
There are several types of Injunctions that protect us from bullies. The one used for youth bullying cases would be the Repeat Violence Injunction. If the offender has a history of two or more instances of violence, this would apply. We have successfully argued that only one act of violence is necessary for children.
top rated Attorney Statistics on Bullying (nationwide)
- 60% of bullies have been charged with a crime by age 24
- Bullying is a form of child abuse and 4 out of 10 children will drop out of high school this year because they are being bullied at school or abused at home.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied; 85% of the time, there is no intervention of any kind
- Each day, 160,000 students miss school due to bullying
- Bullying is a leading factor in suicide among kids 11-16 years old
- 34% of all children report being bullied regularly at least several times a year
- 86% of children aged 12-15 report at least some form of bullying has interfered with their studies moderately or severely
- 43% of middle school children avoid the bathroom and locker rooms at all costs due to certainty of being bullied
phillips & hunt Statistics on Bullying (nationwide)
- 1 of every 4 children is more than occasionally cyber-bullied
- More than 25 million families are currently traumatized by bullying in the U.S. today
- When polled, 98% of students indicated that they want teachers to intervene
- According to a 2011 Harvard School of Health Study, male bullies are nearly four times as likely as non-bullies to grow up to physically or sexually abuse their female partners
- In schools where there are anti bullying programs, bullying is reduced by 50%
- Bullying was a factor in 2/3 of the 37 school shootings reviewed by the US Secret Service
- Recent bullying studies have found that schools that had a more intense bullying atmosphere, passing rates on standardized tests in such subjects as algebra, earth science and world history were 3 to 6% lower
- For more articles on bullying, see www.solutionsforbullying.com
* Statistics from ‘Team Up To Stop Bullying’ and Sears
How to Prevent
Consequences for aggression or violence towards others and teaching esteem and assertiveness to both parties are preventative measures to take.
If you have been the victim of bullying or violence, the Personal Injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Phillips & Hunt can help. If you are seeking an injunction, our experienced attorneys can help! Contact us today to discuss your legal needs, 904-444-4444.
Semi-Truck Wreck Boating Accident Lawyers Bicycle Accident Attorney Amputation and Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Premises Liability Lawyer Drunk Driving and DUI Related Injury Lawyer Gun Violence and Gun Shot Accident Lawyer Animal Attacks and Dog Bite Lawyer Medical Malpractice Lawyer Aviation / Airplane Crash Injury Lawyers Wrongful Death Lawyer Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall Attorney Brain Injury or Concussive Symptoms Lawyer Broken Bone and Serious Injury Lawyer Burn and Fire Injury
Lawyer Jacksonville Chronic Pain, RSD and CRPS Lawyer Motorcycle or Motor Scooter Accident Lawyer Negligent Security Lawyer Spinal Injury Lawyer Product Liability and Defect Lawyer Police Brutality or Civil Rights Lawyer Food Poisoning and Tainted Food Lawyer Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Lawyer Insurance Dispute / Bad Faith Lawyers Public Transportation and Bus Accident Lawyer Government and Sovereign Immunity Claims Lawyer Vacation Accident / Negligence Lawyers Florida School Violence Bullying Lawyer Workers Compensation and Workers Compensation Immunity Lawyer Zip Line Accident and Amusement Park Accident Lawyer