phillips, hunt, walker & hanna Case Updates
UPDATE: Charges were dropped against Dr. Schneider’s dental assistant on August 18, 2017. See below for details on the original charges and click here for story on charges being dropped against Howard S. Schneider.
Florida’s attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office have issued another warrant in the medicaid / abuse criminal case related to Jacksonville dentist Howard S. Schneider. Schneider was arrested yesterday. Read more about that here. They arrested and booked his assistant LaTosha Bevel-Hillsman on charges of practicing dentistry without a license, defrauding the Florida Medicaid program and child abuse. Hillsman was booked into the Duval County jail just after 5 p.m. Tuesday, November 17, 2015. What has been identified as her facebook page has very risque (and unhygienic) photos.
Here is her booking report:
And charging information:
You can also read the 36 Page Arrest Warrant Affidavit here.
She was charged with 1 counts of violation of Section 409.920(2)(A)(2), under the Medicaid Fraud Statute. It states:
(2)(a) A person may not:2. Knowingly make, cause to be made, or aid and abet in the making of a claim for items or services that are not authorized to be reimbursed by the Medicaid program.
(b)1. A person who violates this subsection and receives or endeavors to receive anything of value of:
466.026 Prohibitions; penalties.—
(a) Practicing dentistry or dental hygiene unless the person has an appropriate, active license issued by the department pursuant to this chapter.
827.03 Abuse, aggravated abuse, and neglect of a child; penalties.—
(1) DEFINITIONS.—As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Aggravated child abuse” occurs when a person:1. Commits aggravated battery on a child;2. Willfully tortures, maliciously punishes, or willfully and unlawfully cages a child; or3. Knowingly or willfully abuses a child and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child.
General Information About Dental Abuse Civil Cases:
- ◊ What is Dental Abuse and Why Does it Exist?
- ◊ Medical & Dental Malpractice and the Mandatory Pre-Suit Period
- ◊ Dental Abuse Statutes of Limitation in Florida
- ◊ Dental Abuse Cases: Class Action in Florida or Not?
- ◊ 5 Simple Tips on How to Choose a Medical or Dental Malpractice Lawyer
Case Against Howard S. Schneider:
- ◊ Frequently Asked Questions and Update on Howard Schneider Cases
- ◊ Statements Made by Jacksonville Pediatric Dentist Howard S. Schneider, DDS
- ◊ Download the 36 Page Arrest Warrant Affidavit Here
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Howard Schneider’s Dental Assistant Arrested / Booked
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Schneider Medicaid Fraud / Malpractice Claim Update
- ◊ Jacksonville Dentist Howard S. Schneider Uses Vehicle to Intimidate?
- ◊ May 2015 – The Case(s) Against Schneider: Explained
- ◊ Legal Opinion: The Dr. Schneider “Class Action Law Suit” Can’t Proceed
National News Stories About Schneider Case:
- ◊ National News Stories Regarding Howard S. Schneider
- ◊ Dentist the Menace Blog
- ◊ Insurance Journal Discusses Schneider Case
- ◊ U.S. Senators Release Report on Dental Clinics That Skirt Regulations
- ◊ Similar Case (Multi-State Class Action) – Insurers for troubled dental chain Small Smiles’ to pay out $39 million in tentative settlement
- ◊ Press Release by Florida Attorney General on Schneider Case
- ◊ Howard Schneider In His Own Words: The Newsletters
- ◊ Download the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Guidelines here
- ◊ 2015 Florida Law Regulating Dentists
- ◊ Order Relinquishing Florida Dental License (Schneider)
The Law Offices of John Phillips are based in Jacksonville and Jacksonville Beach, Florida, but John is licensed in Florida, Georgia and Alabama and before the U.S. Supreme Court. We will consult wherever injustice lives. In addition to personal injury and wrongful death, our firm handles family law matters and select criminal defense cases. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.